Chiming in to say that whichever way this goes urllib3 would be okay. We can
always vendor the small amount of http.client logic we actually depend on for
HTTP connections. I do agree that the future of HTTP clearly lies outside the
standard library, our team is already thinking about ways to integrate
non-http.client HTTP implementations (like HTTP/2).

My feeling is that it will be difficult to remove urllib.parse, however
urllib.request is much less depended on and more likely to be deprecated and
removed.

Also clarifying that httplib2 doesn't support HTTP/2, the HTTP/2 package of
interest is usually h2: https://pypi.org/project/h2. "http3" also doesn't
implement HTTP/3 (bad name), this was one of the potential names for the HTTPX
project.