On Wed, Feb 9, 2022 at 4:19 AM Petr Viktorin <encu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09. 02. 22 4:39, h.vetin...@gmx.com wrote:
> >> Maybe a more practical approach would be to use C99 "except of
> > features not supported by MSVC of Visual Studio 2019"?
> >
> > This could be formulated in a more neutral way by saying
> >
> > "C99 without the things that became optional in C11", or perhaps
>
> That sounds like a better wording!
>
> > "C11 without optional features" (at least from the POV of MSVC,
> > haven't checked the other compilers/platforms for C11-compliance).
>
> That's an interesting idea -- what's keeping us from C11?

No one asking before, probably because we have been trying to get to C99
for so long. 😄

> In other words: the main thing keeping us from C99 is MSVC support, and
> since that compiler apparently skipped C99, should we skip it as well?

If we think "C11 without optional features" is widely supported then I
think that's a fine target to have.

For anyone not sure what's optional in C11, I found
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C11_%28C_standard_revision%29#Optional_features
. Other than atomics being discussed on Discord for mimalloc, leaving those
things out seem reasonable to me.

-Brett