On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 1:54 PM Petr Viktorin <encu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> First, add notices to any documentation that using the macro as a
> l-value is a deprecated, CPython-specific detail. It should be clear
> that the only reason this usage is allowed is for backwards
> compatibility, and that alternate implementations of the C API are free
> to not allow this.

In practice, alternate implementations must implement exactly the same
C API than CPython, otherwise they become incompatible with projects
affected by PEP 674 (41 projects including major projects like Cython
and numpy). Let me quote Matti about the PyPy project:

"I think it would be more accurate to say that PyPy, as a small
project in the huge Python ecosystem, is trying to support any C-API
used widely by the community. If there is a common PyPy voice (after
all, we are also a project with many opinions), we don't "not want to
drop support" nor "want to drop support" for any commonly used C-API
interfaces, rather we want to stay out of this argument and promote
alternatives such as CFFI, cppyy, and HPy instead."

https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/message/3HGX42QFURHCU6O6DOKBXLVTFIU6RDBO/

The whole purpose of PEP 674 is to remove this constraint in alternate
implementations *and* in CPython.

Victor