A gentoo developer reported a symlink loop problem in reportlab's setup.py
where we search for specific headers.

The 'fixed' function looks like this

def findFile(root, wanted, followlinks=True):
    visited = set()
    for p, D, F in os.walk(root,followlinks=followlinks):
        #scan directories to check for prior visits
        #use dev/inode to make unique key
        SD = [].append
        for d in D:
            dk = os.stat(pjoin(p,d))
            dk = dk.st_dev, dk.st_ino
            if dk not in visited:
                visited.add(dk)
                SD(d)
        D[:] = SD.__self__  #set the dirs to be scanned
        for fn in F:
            if fn==wanted:
                return abspath(pjoin(p,fn))

the fix is reported to have worked, but the developer is querying the lifting
of  SD.append using the construct

SD = [].append
loop involving
  appends to the list
D[:] = SD.__self__

his objection was that using __self__ might be implementation sensitive.

I cannot tell from the documentation (eg https://docs.python.org/3.10/reference/datamodel.html) if these magic methods are part of python or of the implementation.

On the other hand as a longtime python programmer I wonder if such simple cases are already optimized out in the produced bytecode; for years I have been avoiding s += 'string' and only recently found out that it was handled as a special case.
--
Robin Becker