Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> [Ian Bicking]
>> They seem terribly pointless to me.
>
> FWIW, here is the script that had I used while updating and improving
> the two functions (can't remember whether it was for Py2.3 or Py2.4).
> It lists comparative results for many different types of inputs.
> Since perfection was not possible, the goal was to have no false
> negatives and mostly accurate positives.  IMO, they do a pretty good
> job and are able to access information in not otherwise visable to
> pure Python code.  With respect to user defined instances, I don't
> care that they can't draw a distinction where none exists in the first
> place -- at some point you have to either fallback on duck-typing or
> be in control of what kind of arguments you submit to your functions.
> Practicality beats purity -- especially when a pure solution doesn't
> exist (i.e. given a user defined class that defines just __getitem__,
> both mapping or sequence behavior is a possibility).

But given :

True True Instance w getitem <type 'instance'>
True True NewStyle Instance w getitem <class '__main__.cng'>
True True [] <class UserList.UserList at 0x00F11B70>
True True {} <type 'instance'>

(Last one is UserDict)

I can't conceive of circumstances where this is useful without duck
typing *as well*.

The tests seem roughly analogous to :

def isMappingType(obj):
    return isinstance(obj, dict) or hasattr(obj, '__getitem__')

def isSequenceType(obj):
    return isinstance(obj, (basestring, list, tuple, collections.deque))
or hasattr(obj, '__getitem__')

If you want to allow sequence access you could either just use the
isinstance or you *have* to trap an exception in the case of a mapping
object being passed in.

Redefining (effectively) as :

def isMappingType(obj):
    return isinstance(obj, dict) or (hasattr(obj, '__getitem__') and
hasattr(obj, 'keys'))

def isSequenceType(obj):
    return isinstance(obj, (basestring, list, tuple, collections.deque))
or (hasattr(obj, '__getitem__')
        and not hasattr(obj, 'keys'))

Makes the test useful where you want to know you can safely treat an
object as a mapping (or sequence) *and* where you want to tell the
difference.

The only code that would break is use of mapping objects that don't
define ``keys`` and sequences that do. I imagine these must be very rare
and *would* be interested in seeing real code that does break.
Especially if that code cannot be trivially rewritten to use the first
example.

All the best,

Michael Foord