> Don't you have the backtrace from libunwind that you could save from austinp
> itself?

Unfortunately no as the "deadlock" happens before any samples have a
chance to be collected. Upon further investigation, it seems that
trying to resume a thread over and over when ptrace fails takes quite
"some" time (in fact, more than I'd have hoped). Playing with a larger
wait timeout (100 ms, but the largest number I've seen so far on my
machine is 4 ms, which is still an eternity compared to a sensible
sampling interval of 10 ms) seems to "cure" the problem, which I've
only seen during interpreter initialisation. So perhaps Python itself
is off the hook!

--
"Egli è scritto in lingua matematica, e i caratteri son triangoli,
cerchi, ed altre figure

-- G. Galilei, Il saggiatore.