Samuel Colvin writes:

 > Overall, I agree we should be using ISO8601 for exactly this reason (at
 > least for dates, for datetimes ISO8601 gets pretty wacky
 > <https://ijmacd.github.io/rfc3339-iso8601/>)

I have never had a use for anything but yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm:ss (and very
occasionally yyyy-mm-ddZhh:mm:ss for international coordination).
What's wacky about that?  It's not terribly human-readable, but for
humans you can substitute a space for T (Z) and append a timezone or
offset if you want to disambiguate.

Sure, there is lots of optional syntax in ISO 8601, but when does one
need the wacky stuff in a release announcement?

Steve