> I think this is over-complicating things. I think the key merit of your
> original proposal was its simplicity. Proposing more complicated ways of
> getting the result you want is (IMO) unlikely to succeed, and is only
> likely to cause people to become even more entrenched in their positions.
> Can you give any explanation of why this proposal is better than your
> original one, *apart* from "it's not been rejected yet"?

It does sidestep the "There is nothing special about None" argument which IS
the reason cited for rejecting the previous change.
OTOH, you are still right, in the sense that I know that no matter what exactly
I propose, there WILL be a way to view it negatively. (BTW: did you see the 2nd
flavor of my proposal in the P.S. where I *don't* get what I want)?

I'm having trouble staying away from the discussion - I tried once and failed.
Other people continue to talk about it, then I join again.

But it might be best if I leave the discussion or at least my position as the
person who's proposing this change. Forget about the PR/issue and start over.
Perhaps someone else needs to push for it. A core dev, so their opinion on the
matter will count for something. Until then, it's not a productive use of our
collective time to discuss it any further.