On 7/12/06, Guido van Rossum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 7/12/06, Armin Rigo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I guess I'm going to side with Greg Black on his blog entry.

I seem to recall that that particular one wass *not* an accidental
bug. I believe I fell over exactly the problem that Greg Black
complained about (or almost the same; maybe my problem was setting the
month and day to zero and formatting only the time :-) and tried to
convince the author to change it; but was told that the new behavior
was never documented and that the new behavior was somehow better; and
I didn't fight it further then. Do I remember this correctly? Does
anybody else recall?

My recollection is that we found a way to cause a crash if improper values were used.  We never said 0s were allowed in the docs and that it could mask bugs if you did use them and we supported them ( e.g., setting 0 for January instead of 1 if you were thinking in terms of indexing at the time).  So we said that values should be within the proper range and not above or below them.

The python-dev Summary coverage can be found at http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2004-02-01_2004-02-29/#time-strftime-now-checks-its-argument-s-bounds .

-Brett