Misa> Good point. Does the attached patch look reasonable?

    Misa> -        self.when = string.upper(when)
    Misa> +        self.when = unicode(when).upper()

The use of the string module instead of string methods suggests to me that
the logging package attempts to work with older versions of Python.  Looking
at PEP 291 it looks like 1.5.2 compatibility is desired (no string methods,
no unicode).  I think a conscious decision by someone (probably Vinay Sajip)
to give up that compatibility would be required.

Skip