Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> David Hopwood schrieb:
>>Michael Foord wrote:
>>>David Hopwood wrote:[snip..]

>>I think you must have misread my comment:
>
> Indeed. The misunderstanding originates from your sentence starting with
> "no", when, in fact, you seem to be supporting the proposal I made.

I had misunderstood what the existing Python behaviour is. I now think
the current behaviour (which uses "B.decode(system_encoding) == U") is
definitely a bad idea, especially in cases where the system encoding is
not US-ASCII, but I agree that it can't be changed for 2.5.

--
David Hopwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>