On 8/19/06, Jack Diederich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
It has always "just worked" for me on Opterons + Debian.
Python 2.4 (#1, May 31 2005, 10:19:45)
[GCC 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-12)] on linux2
>>> import sys
>>> sys.maxint
9223372036854775807

While that's certainly useful behaviour, it isn't exactly the same thing as the 64-bit support in Python 2.5. 64-bit longs have always worked (as Tim said, CPython is good C), but large parts of CPython were using ints instead of longs -- and I'm fairly certain there are still quite a few bugs with container types and more than 31-bits worth of elements. (I say that because I found more than I hoped for, writing the bigmem tests a few months back. And those tests only consider bytestrings, lists and tuples.) So, while sys.maxint doesn't change, and any container with sane amounts of elements will almost certainly work (one would hope that's tested enough by now), real-world code that actually uses, say, more than 100Gb worth of memory in a single container may still break. Unless we write more bigmem tests :>

Luxury-problem-anyone?'ly y'rs,
--
Thomas Wouters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>