See, for me, it's all about the results of the operation, not how the
results are (supposedly) used.  The way I think about it is that I've
got some string and I'm looking for some split point within that
string.  That split point is clearly the "middle" (but "sep" works
too) and everything to the right of that split point gets returned in
"right" while everything to the left gets returned in "left".

+1 for left/sep/right for both operations.  It's easier to remember a
visual correlation (left,sep,right) than it is to try and think about an
abstraction in which the order of results has something to do with what
direction I found the separator in.

If I'm repeating from right to left, then of course the "left" is the part
I'll want to repeat on.

That's fine with me.  I accept there will always be someone who stands on their head and then becomes confused about whether their head is now their body and vice-versa ;-)

If someone is so inclined, feel free to go in and change the docs and docstrings to left/sep/right.  More importantly, be sure to include an example:   'www.python.org'.rpartition('.') --> ('www.python', '.', 'org')

Also, be sure to check with Neal or Anthony.  Since this is just a documentation nit, it may need to wait for Py2.5.1.  Ideally, we should only be making critical bugfixes and API fixes at this point in the release cycle.

Raymond