[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Talin writes:
>  > (one additional postscript - One thing I would be interested in is an
>  > approach that unifies file paths and URLs so that there is a consistent
>  > locator scheme for any resource, whether they be in a filesystem, on a
>  > web server, or stored in a zip file.)
>
> +1
>
> But doesn't file:/// do that for files, and couldn't we do something
> like zipfile:///nantoka.zip#foo/bar/baz.txt?  Of course, we'd want to
> do ziphttp://your.server.net/kantoka.zip#foo/bar/baz.txt, too.  That
> way leads to madness....

file:/// does indeed to it, but only the network module understands
strings in that format. Ideally, you should be able to pass
"file:///..." to a regular "open" function. I wouldn't expect it to be
able to understand "http://";. But the "file:" protocol should always be
supported.

In other words, I'm not proposing that the built-in file i/o package
suddenly grow an understanding of network schema types. All I am
proposing is a unified name space.

- Talin