Neal Becker wrote:
> I have watched numpy with interest for a long time.  My own interest is to
> possibly use the c-api to wrap c++ algorithms to use from python.
>
> One thing that has concerned me, and continues to concern me with this
> proposal, is that it seems to suffer from a very fat interface.  I
> certainly have not studied the options in any depth, but my gut feeling is
> that the interface is too fat and too complex.  I wonder if it's possible
> to avoid this.  I wonder if this is an example of all the methods sinking
> to the base class.

You've just described my number #1 concern with incorporating NumPy wholesale,
and the reason I believe it would be nice to cherry-pick a couple of key
components for the standard library, rather than adopting the whole thing.

Travis has done a lot of work towards that goal (the latest result of which is
this pre-PEP for describing the individual array elements in a way that is
more flexible than the single character codes of the current array module).

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan   |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   Brisbane, Australia