> The only benefit I imagine would be for an extension module library
> writer and for users of the struct and array modules.  But, other than
> that, I don't know.  It actually doesn't have to be exposed to Python.
> I used Python notation in the PEP to explain what is basically a
> C-structure.  I don't care if the object ever gets exposed to Python.
>
> Maybe that's part of the communication problem.

I get the impression where ctypes is good for accessing native C libraries from
within python, the data-type object is meant to add a more direct way to share
native python object's *data* with C (or other languages) in a more efficient
way.  For data that can be represented well in continuous memory address's, it
lightens the load so instead of a list of python objects you get an "array of
data for n python_type objects" without the duplications of the python type for
every element.

I think maybe some more complete examples demonstrating how it is to be used
from both the Python and C would be good.

Cheers,
    Ron