Jan Matejek schrieb:
> +1 on that. There should be a clear (and clearly presented) idea of how
> Python is supposed to be laid out in the distribution-provided /usr
> hierarchy. And it would be nice if this idea complied to FHS.

The LSB refers to the FHS, so it is clear that LSB support for Python
will have follow the LHS. Specifically, LSB 3.1 includes FHS
2.3 as a normative reference.

> It would also be nice if somebody finally admitted the existence of
> /usr/lib64 and made Python aware of it ;e)

I don't think this is really relevant for Python. The FHS specifies
that 64-bit libraries must be in /lib64 on AMD64-Linux. It is silent
on where to put Python source files and .pyc files, and, indeed,
putting them into /usr/lib/pythonX.Y seems to be FHS-conforming:

# /usr/lib includes object files, libraries, and internal binaries that
# are not intended to be executed directly by users or shell scripts.

In any case, changing Python is certainly out of the scope of
the LSB committee: they might put requirements on Python installations,
but it's not their job to "fix" Python.

Regards,
Martin