At 06:02 PM 11/30/2006 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>On 05:37 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >Perhaps "pyinstall"?
>
>Keep in mind that Python packages will still generally be
>*system*-installed with other tools, like dpkg (or apt) and rpm, on
>systems which have them.  The name of the packaging system we're talking
>about is called either "eggs" or "setuptools" depending on the context.

Just as an FYI, the (planned) name of the packaging program for setuptools
is "nest".  It doesn't exist yet, however, except for a whole lot of design
notes in my outlining program.  You'll be able to use commands like "nest
list" to show installed projects, "nest source" to fetch a project's
source, "nest rm" or "nest uninstall" to uninstall, etc.  It's all 100%
vaporware at the moment, but that's the plan.

I actually looked at other system package managers written in Python (i.e.
yum and smart) to use as a possible base for implementing "nest", but
unfortunately these are all GPL'd and thus not compatible with the
setuptools or Python licenses, so I didn't actually get very far in my
evaluation.