On 4 Jan, 2007, at 17:56, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

On Thursday 04 January 2007 11:33, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
For the python subdirectory, there is the issue that the framework
includes in OSX magically look for python.framework when searching for
python/foo.h, which they find, so that may get us the wrong version.
Somebody would have to study the details here, first.

If everything public gets included from Python.h, perhaps python/ object.h and friends could become pythonX.Y/object.h; I'm not sure this will solve the Mac
OS framework magic issue, though, not being a Mac OS developer.

That would solve the problem, however I don't think there is one. An experiment seems to indicate that the include path is prefered over the magic inclusion of framework headers (see the trace below). I haven't checked yet if the behaviour shown below is intentional, but I'd be surprised if it isn't.

$ mkdir include
$ mkdir include/Python
$ cat > include/Python/object.h <<EOF
#error "my header included"
EOF
$ cat > demo.c <<-EOF
#include <Python/object.h>
EOF
$
$ cc -c demo.c
In file included from demo.c:1:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Headers/object.h:227: error: parse error before ‘FILE’ /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Headers/object.h:353: error: parse error before ‘PyType_IsSubtype’ ... more errors removed, this clearly includes a header from the python framework
$
$ cc -I include -c t.c
In file included from demo.c:1:
include/Python/object.h:1:2: error: #error "my error"

Therefore moving all headers into a directory named Python would cause no problems users that use the normal way of linking with python and would even allow users to use the python framework as a normal framework.

Ronald

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.   <fdrake at acm.org>