On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 09:19:30AM -0500, Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
> >That feels like 6 layers too many, given that
> > _logrun(selectable, _drdw, selectable, method, dict)
> > return context.call({ILogContext: newCtx}, func, *args, **kw)
> > return self.currentContext().callWithContext(ctx, func, *args, **kw)
> > return func(*args, **kw)
> > getattr(selectable, method())
> > klass(number, string)
> >
> >are all generic calls.
>
> I know function calls are expensive in Python, and method calls even more
> so... but I still don't understand this issue.  Twisted's call stack is too
> deep?  It is fair to say it is deep, I guess, but I don't see how that is a
> problem.  If it is, I don't see how it is specific to this discussion.

It's hard to debug the resulting problem.  Which level of the *12*
levels in the stack trace is responsible for a bug?  Which of the *6*
generic calls is calling the wrong thing because a handler was set up
incorrectly or the wrong object provided?  The code is so 'meta' that
it becomes effectively undebuggable.

--amk