On 20 Mar, 2007, at 19:24, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

What I don't understand is why 'ignore_leading_dot==False' is
considered to be a valid usecase at all, except for the fact that
os.path.splitext did this until py2.5. I'm definitely in the camp
that considers '.profile' not to have an extension.

Okay, the part I'm confused about is what's your position on what should be *done* about this. Are you favoring no change? Deprecating it and ripping it out? Or what?

os.path.splitext works fine for what it is supposed to do, even though there currently is some confusion on what that is. IMHO the change Martin checked in into 2.6 was a good one and makes that API as good as it can get without unduly cluttering the API.

Ronald