"Travis Oliphant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
| I'm good with using an identifier to differentiate between an "allowed"
| flag and a "require" flag.   I'm not a big fan of
| VERY_LONG_IDENTIFIER_NAMES though.  Just enough to understand what it
| means but not so much that it takes forever to type and uses up
| horizontal real-estate.

To save fingers and real-estate, adopt the following convention:
by default, adjectives like writable and contiguous are 'required'
unless tagged with 'OK', as in WRITABLE_OK.

Explain that in the flag doc just before the flags themselves.
And yes, ND for N_DIMENSIONAL or MULTIDIMENSIONAL
is also a great win that can also be explained in the same intro.

Terry Jan Reedy