Steven Bethard wrote:
> On 5/5/07, M.-A. Lemburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On 2007-05-04 19:51, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>> [-python-dev]

>>> Rather than adding immutability to bytes objects (which has big
>>> implementation and type checking implications), consider using
>>> buffer(b"123") as an immutable bytes literal. You can freely
>>> concatenate and compare buffer objects with bytes objects.
>> I like Georg's idea of having an immutable bytes subclass.
>> b"abc" could then be a shortcut constructor for this subclass.
>>
>> In general, I don't think it's a good idea to have literals
>> turn into mutable objects, since literals are normally perceived
>> as being constant.
>
> Does that mean you want list literals to be immutable too?
>
>     lst = ['a', 'b', 'c']
>     lst.append('d') # raises an error?
>
> STeVe

I think the point is rather that changes to the list linked by lst after
the initial assignment shouldn't result in the assignemtn of a different
value to lst if the statement is executed again (as  part of a function
body or in a loop, for example).

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119