> As you mention, 64 and 32bit programs use different instruction sets.
> Therefore, trying to use a 64bit install of Python with IIS configured to
> work with 32bits is not going to work.  In this case, switching the
> configuration of IIS will require the Python user to uninstall the previous
> version and install a different version - but some sites may end up in a
> dilemma here - they may be *forced* to use IIS in 32bit mode due to no 64bit
> port for a tool they need, but simultaneously desire a 64bit build of Python
> for other tasks on that same box.

IIUC, you want the AMD64 installer also deploy 32-bit pythonxy.dll etc.
That's a challenge, of course: how would you install the 32-bit
extension modules so that they don't interfere with the 64-bit ones?

> Right - I got the impression from Micheal that it was possible for 32bit
> components to be installed in a 64bit install, but I don't profess to know
> anything about this.

That is true. However, there really isn't anything special about a 32bit
component: the only difference is that Installer turns on file and
registry redirection when installing that component.

You are free to put 32-bit executables into 64-bit components just fine.
(A "component" in MSI is a group of files and registry keys that is
installed together).

Regards,
Martin