> That said, there are always strong arguments in
> favour of the distributed model encouraging and fostering community
> dev participation

Just for the record: Python's development model *is* distributed,
and has been for a long time. We don't all work in the same office,
or even in the same time zone. We rarely meet face-to-face (although
the recent hiring wave at Google has changed some of that - but
then, there also was ZC, BeOpen, CNRI before that).

I really don't think that the non-D aspect of the VCS is a burden to
contribution. Many patches are contributed from the released source,
i.e. without bothering to check out anything, or even from the binary
installation, i.e. without bothering to download and build the source.
People who don't use subversion to get themselves the latest sources to
contribute against won't start doing so if some other system was
used (they are less likely to if they have to learn it first).

Instead, requiring contributors to use the Python VCS would place
a burden, as does the requirement that we already have to contribute
diff files, rather than an edited version of the original file. Also,
having to register with the bugtracker is a burden for some
contributors.

Regards,
Martin