Thomas Wouters wrote:

> Unfortunately, that's not how it works :-) If you check something into
> the trunk, it will be merged into Py3k sooner or later. I may ask the
> original submitter for assistance if it's incredibly hard to figure out
> the changes, but so far, I only had to do that with the SSL changes. The
> decimal changes are being merged as I write this (tests running now.) Is
> there anything in particular that needs to be done for decimal in Py3k,
> besides renaming __div__ to __truediv__?
>
> If you re-eally need to check something into the trunk that re-eally
> must not be merged into py3k, but you're afraid it's not going to be
> obvious to the merger, please record the change as 'merged' using
> "svnmerge merge -M -r<revision>". Please take care when picking the
> revision ;) You can also just email me or someone else you see doing
> merges, as I doubt this will be a common occurance.

I'm getting ready to port my PEP 3101 implementation (str.format() and
friends) from py3k back to 2.6.  How do I make it obvious that this is
something that doesn't need to be ported to py3k?  I'm not sure what
"obvious to the merger" means.  Is a "backported" checkin comment good
enough?  With any luck this will be done with a single checkin to the
trunk, and another checkin to py3k so that the implementations can
remain identical.

I just want to make sure I don't make life more difficult than necessary
for the folks doing the very valuable merge process.

Eric.