Hi -

I'm having a few problems with our (embedded) Python interpreter trying
to write .pyc files in the installation of our product (which actually
sometimes works and sometimes doesn't depending on OS and paranoia level
involved). This can give raise to a few very confusing situations and
I'd like to be able to specify an explicit location for the .pyc files.
Ideally, this would be a cache location where all .pyc files are created
under an hashed (MD5 or similar) name of the original source file so
that the cache location can be used for all of the compiled Python files.

While googling this issue, I noticed that the status of PEP 304 says
"withdrawn" but since most of the discussion around it seems to be a
couple of years old, I thought I'd ask if anyone has done something in
this area recently. If not, a pointer to the place which manages these
mappings (or a starting point for further digging) would be greatly welcome.

Cheers,
   - Andreas