> What should happen to the other build directories?
>
> PC/VS6/
>   build dir for Visual Studio 6. It's no longer maintained
>   and probably doesn't work at all. I like to remove it.

Please keep it. It's not just for VS6, but also for some version
of Embedded VS, and people occasionally contribute to it.

Does it hurt to keep it?

> PC/bdist_wininst/
>   The README contains only XXX comments and the project files
>   must be ported to VS 2005 and VS 2008. I guess the directory
>   contains the executable for distutils' bdist_wininst.

Yes, it's the source of the binaries being packaged into bdist_wininst.

That needs to be updated for VS 2008: projects files need to be created,
and it needs to be built; the build output needs to go into
Lib/distutils/command/wininst-9.exe.

> PC/example_nt/
>   Example project and C files for VS 2003. Needs an update or remove it.

Update.

> PC/os2*/
>   OS2 build dirs. The files are no longer maintained.

Not true, I think. Andrew McIntyre updates them; the last checkin was in
July 2007.

> PCbuild/
>   Build dir for VS 2003. Keep it or remove it? I'm +1 for removal
>   from 3.0 and +0 for remove from 2.6.

Please move it to PC/VS7.1 (or some such).

> PCBuild8/
>   Build dir for VS 2005. This directory is a nested directory
>   structure and it doesn't integrate all pre-build steps. The user
>   weck has developed a small Python script to back port the PCbuild9
>   directory to PCbuild8 (http://bugs.python.org/issue1455). The
>   script would make maintenance of the PCbuild8 directory easier.

As I said in the tracker: I have no opinion, but Kristjan may have one.

> PCbuild9/
>   The new build dir for VS 2008.

Please rename it to PCbuild (after moving the previous one to PC).

Regards,
Martin