On Feb 4, 2008 5:26 PM, Christian Heimes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Brett Cannon wrote:
> > The 1 MB PDF can be found at
> > http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~drifty/pycon/sprint_tutorial.pdf . If you find
> > any bad info or some info that is really lacking, let me know. But
> > please realize that my slides are never really meant to be read on
> > their own as it just goes against my presentation style. So don't
> > think that some slide doesn't go into enough detail unless there is
> > some URL I am missing. Every slide will be discussed more during the
> > presentation than what is on the slide.
>
> I've written down some notes while I was reading your slide. Some of the
> information may be covered by your speech but better safe than sorry. ;)
>
> * Windows builds: Configuration "Debug" or build -c Debug builds a
> Py_DEBUG build. All executables and extension modules are postfixed with
> _d (python_d.exe, python.exe is always the standard build). Platform X64
> builds for AMD64, PGO is not available in the Express edition

Added the debug info.

> * Windows doesn't use automake but a hand crafted PC/pyconfig.h file.
>
> * IRC is missing from the communication list (#python and #python-dev on
> irc.freenode.net, #python-dev gets annotations of checkins and bug
> tracker activity from CIA bot)

Added.

> * Bug reports: Don't forget to fill in target version, component
> (extension = Modules/), type (feature request is RFE = request for
> enhancements). Priority and keywords get filled in by a developer.

Added a note to fill in all the info.

> * Checking: Don't forget to add an entry to Misc/NEWS.

Covered on slide 42.

> Always add a note
> like "Closed in r12345" when you close a bug. The revision is important
> und must have the form r12345. Add the bug tracker number #1234 to the
> checkin message.

I am not worrying about checkins. Figure people who have it know what
to do. And anyone who gets it will be personally instructed on the
spot. But when it comes time to write the docs that go on the web I
will write a committer doc.

> * Block back ports from automatic forward merging with ".../py3k$
> svnmerge.py block -r 12345" or write a note in your checkin message that
> the revision must not be merged.

See above.

> * Windows tests: Use "rt -d" to run unit tests for a debug build. The rt
> script accepts all options regrtest.py accepts + the option -q. The
> argument length on Windows is limited, consider the -f file option.

Added -d to the two examples.

> * Building docs on Windows: Require command line svn tool. Use make.bat
> in the Docs/ directory. Requires HTML Help compiler to build chm files
> (optional).

Mentioned the svn need and make.bat.

-Brett