On Feb 21, 2008, at 12:30 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Barry Warsaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>> Why should docstrings and comments be limited to 72 characters when
>> code is limited to 79 characters?  I ask because there is an ongoing
>> debate at my company about this.
>
> People in your company have too much time on their hands. :-)

C'mon, bike shedding is so much fun! :)

>> Personally, I see no justification for it, and further, it's a pita
>> support automatically because tools like Emacs only have one auto-
>> wrapping variable (fill-column).  Emacs doesn't know that it should
>> fill comments and docstrings different than code lines, so you have
>> do a bunch of manual crud to support these guidelines.
>>
>> I recommend removing the guideline of 72 characters, and just say
>> everything, code, comments, and docstrings should be no wider than 79
>> characters.
>
> I'm fine with getting rid of this, but since that originally comes
> from me, here's my justification. Somehow my Emacs usually defaults to
> 72 for its fill column. That means that when I reflow text in a block
> comment or docstring, it'll use this limit. OTOH I don't use anything
> to automatically fold long code lines: when they start wrapping I
> manually decide on the best place to break it (and my windows are
> typically 80 chars wide so I can have several side by side(*)).

I do the same thing sometimes too.

> However there are occasions where I manually format docstrings or
> comments, and then I will again use 79 as the limit.

Yep.

> (*) When is Emacs going to fix the bug where it decides to fold a line
> that's exactly as wide as the window? This 79 business is really
> silly, and had to impose on people using other editors.

In 50 years, our grandchildren will be writing code with brain
implants and displays burned right into their retina, and they'll /
still/ be subject to 79 characters.  I laugh every time I think that
they'll have no idea why it is, but they'll still be unable to change
it. :)

- -Barry