On 22 Mar, 2008, at 2:44, A.M. Kuchling wrote:
On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 06:41:00PM -0400, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
I'm making the assumption that the author(s) of PEP 262 had good
reason for including what they did, rather than assuming that we
should start the entire process over from scratch.

The goal *was* originally to provide for RPM-like verification of file
content, but I don't know that the verification feature really matters
that much; OSes with packaging systems already support such a feature,
probably, and it probably isn't particularly useful for systems
without a packaging system.

Why not? Checksums would allow you to build a small packaging system
on top the python system.

Ronald