"zooko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Folks:
| Unfortunately these answers aren't quite right.  A "package" is
| actually a directory containing an __init__.py file, and a
| distribution is actually what you think of when you say "package" --
| a reusable package of Python code that you can, for example, get from
| the Python package index.

If I go to a market, I may buy an individual food item (an apple, for
instance), but most foods come in packages.  The items and packages are
them put in distribution carriers (bags) for transport home, where they are
unbagged.  A .tgz file is a bag, not a package.  Since I am buying food,
not bags, I would not want the store called a distribution/bag store.
Indeed, other types of stores use the same or similar distribution
carriers, just as .tgz is used for things others than Python modules and
packages.