On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 05:46:25PM +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> What I'm missing with the processing module is a way to spawn processes
> on clusters (rather than just on a single machine).
>
> In the scientific world, MPI is the standard API of choice for doing
> parallel processing, so if we're after standards, supporting MPI
> would seem to be more attractive than the processing module.

Think of the processing module as an alternative to the threading
module, not as an alternative to MPI.  In Python, multi-threading can be
extremely slow.  The processing module gives you a way to convert from
using multiple threads to using multiple processes.

If it made people feel better, maybe it should be called threading2
instead of multiprocessing.  The word "processing" seems to make people
think of parallel processing and clusters, which is missing the point.

Anyway, I would love to see the processing module included in the
standard library.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/