2008/5/22 Oleg Broytmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>   I remember some discussions... let me see... google to help... aha:
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2006-August/003224.html
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2006-August/003242.html

These descussions are too general, and implies some work regarding the
unification between slice and range, and discusses sequences in
general... I'm just asking about strings (the discussion could apply
similarly to bytes, but not bytearrays), and why slicing them returns
a copy.

Of course that when the slice has the step component different that 1,
or reverses the string, this could not be done. But when the slice is
mystring[x:y], being x < y, we *could* return just a view of the
string (llot of emphasis to that "could").

Thanks.

--
. Facundo

PyAr: http://www.python.org/ar/