Nick Coghlan wrote:
Martin v. Löwis wrote:
Please don't - not before % is actually deprecated (which I hope won't
happen until Python 4, with removal of % in Python 5, in the year
when I retire, i.e. 2037).
Now this is news to me -- was there a discussion that changed the
lifetime expectancy of str.__mod__? I'd always supposed it being
deprecated at some point in 3.x.

The PEP doesn't specify anything, and I don't recall any discussion,
either - the specific timing suggested above is merely my own hopes.

While str.format has an awful lot of points in its favour (no tuple/dict special casing, much cleaner handling of named arguments, access to format options for non-builtin types), there are some debugging cases where I suspect the basic version of % formatting will prove to be more convenient.

At this point in time, my personal preference would be that later in the 3.x series certain aspects of % formatting will be deprecated (acceptance of non-tuples in favour of the format() builtin, acceptance of dicts in favour of str.format), but that simple % formatting of a tuple of values will still be permitted.

+1

Simple string formatting with %s and a single object or a tuple meets >90% of my string formatting needs.

Michael Foord

Cheers,
Nick.