I have a problem with the PyOS_InputHook() API as implemented by
Modules/readline.c: there is no way to communicate any interruption seen
while waiting at the keyboard back to the process actually reading the
line.

I have solved this in my own application by creating a new module which
reimplements the call_readline function and which has the following patch
to readline_until_enter_or_signal():

                        FD_SET(fileno(rl_instream), &selectset);
                        /* select resets selectset if no input was available */
                        has_input = select(fileno(rl_instream) + 1, &selectset,
                                           NULL, NULL, &timeout);
-                       if(PyOS_InputHook) PyOS_InputHook();
+            if (call_readline_InputHook  &&
+                call_readline_InputHook(fileno(rl_instream)))
+            {
+                has_input = -1;
+                PyErr_SetInterrupt();
+                break;
+            }
                }

                if(has_input > 0) {
                        rl_callback_read_char();
                }
-               else if (errno == EINTR) {
+        else if (errno == EINTR || has_input < 0) {
                        int s;
 #ifdef WITH_THREAD
                        PyEval_RestoreThread(_PyOS_ReadlineTState);

(I'm sorry, this isn't a proper patch, but hopefully if you've read this
far you can figure out where it applies.)

Here I've replaced PyOS_InputHook with effective type signature None->None
with my own call_readline_InputHook which takes a file descriptor and
returns a boolean, returning True iff an interrupt occurred.  The file
descriptor argument is a triviality, but the boolean return code is
clearly crucial.

Now, I don't know how this change might fit into mainstream Python, but I
think there is a case for making this change.  If the incompatibility was
acceptable it would be better to change the signature of PyOS_InputHook (I
declared my own variable call_readline_InputHook just to avoid accidents).
I've checked the current svn trunk, and this change remains applicable.

Please CC me in any replies: I am quite literally unable to cope with the
volume of traffic that a subscription to python-dev will give me.