Benjamin Peterson wrote:
On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Guido van Rossum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The same generic warning against sweeping changes applies here though.
You have to manually review each change. The stdlib and especially the
test suite is likely to break if you just let 2to3 run over it, even
just a single fixer like fix_has_key.

So be it. We'll go over each module individually as with #3189.

We need to be especially careful with the unit test suite itself - changing the test code to avoid the warning will normally be the right answer, but when the code is actually setting out to test the deprecated feature we need to suppress the warning in the test suite instead.

I should have a decent amount of Python time available later this week/weekend, so I should be able to help with this once I get the updated docs for special method lookup knocked over as well as checking in the somewhat related fix for the following 2.5 behaviour:

>>> print unicode(Exception)
<type 'exceptions.Exception'>
>>> print unicode(u"\xa3")
£
>>> print unicode(Exception(u"\xa3"))
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xa3' in position 0: ordinal not in range(128)

(The idea being to get that last line printing the same thing as the second line, just as unicode(Exception("A")) produces the answer u"A", but without breaking the current behaviour of the first line)

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan   |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   Brisbane, Australia