On 03:42 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

beta 1 has some trouble running *our* test suite - I'd be fairly surprised if the community buildbots were in significantly better shape.

That's another problem, yes :)
The community buildbots have been in a broken state for months now[1].

If the community buildbots aren't largely green by the time beta 2 comes out, that's when I'll agree we have a problem - they should definitely be green by the time first release candidate comes out.

I have mixed feelings about this: on the one hand, if this were a matter of public record, I would have known that this was too early to start complaining, and we could have saved everyone a lot of time reading these messages. That would be good; I would prefer to just let everyone work without bothering about process.

On the other hand, it's much easier to deal with test failures as they arise than in one giant chunk of work at the end of the development process. I spoke to a few core developers at PyCon who thought that the buildbots should always be green and any change that broke them should be reverted. They may remain nameless unless they wish to raise their hands :-) but that's definitely how I feel about it.
Continuously running community buildbots on the maintenance trees makes sense, since those trees should always be in a releasable state. For the trunk, they're really only interesting when the Python core buildbots are reporting all green, but some of the community buildbots are reporting red.

(... which should be all the time ...)
One of the problems is what the term "beta" means to different groups - for us, this first beta was really about saying "zero new features from here on, focus on making what we have now work properly". The relatively late landing of a couple of major PEPs (371, 3108) also didn't do any favours for trunk stability.

A big part of why I wrote this message is that I wanted a clear understanding of the relationship between the definition of "alpha", "beta" and "RC" and the state of various buildbots. If that relationship exists already, just linking to it from http://python.org/download/releases/2.6/ would be good. By the way, that page still says these are "alpha" releases.