M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
On 2008-07-03 19:44, Terry Reedy wrote:
The premise of this thread seems to be that the majority should suffer for the benefit of a few. That is not Python's philosophy.

In reality, most Unixes ship with UCS4 builds of Python. Windows
and Mac OS X ship with UCS2 builds. Still, anyone is free to build
their own favorite version - that's freedom of choice, which is good.

Programmers just need to be made aware of the differences in UCS2
and UCS4 builds and deal with it.

Here's talk I've given many many times over the years which explains
some of the details that a Python programmer needs to know when dealing
with Unicode:

http://www.egenix.com/files/python/PyConUK2007-Developing-Unicode-aware-applications-in-Python.pdf

Perhaps I should add a section on UCS2 vs. UCS4 the next time around ;-)

The indications are that would be helpful to many people (including myself).

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119