Raymond Hettinger wrote:
From: "Ben Finney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Right, so I'm putting up a separate PEP just for the renaming. Should
be arriving on this list soon.

I would like to work with you or someone else who is interested
on an alternative PEP for a separate, simpler test module
using the py.test syntax.  That is much simpler to learn and use.
Instead of self.assertIsNot and whatnot, you write:
  assert a is not b
No need for tons of word-by-word spellings on things we already
have syntax for.

However, to provide readable output for errors in even simple tests (like a == b) py.test does magic with stack frames and code objects - in order to discover the objects being compared.

As this relies on what are essentially implementation details of the Python interpreter it means that some implementations (specifically IronPython which doesn't have Python stack frames and only a minimal representation of frame objects) will never be able to run it.

I think it would be a bad idea to move *Python testing* itself over to a framework like this.

I personally find unittest pretty readable, the feature most lacking is autodiscovery of tests which nose does seem to provide very well although I haven't used it yet.

Michael

Almost anyone who has used py.test can attest
its syntax is much more natural, easy to learn, easy to both
read and write, and is much lighter weight.  I think some variant
of py.test could be done that is compatable with unittest
and the did not have the "magic" present in earlier versions of py.test.
I wrote a recipe (somewhat rough and incomplete) that shows how
easily this could be done:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/572194

Raymond

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/