On 2008-07-20 22:45, Victor Stinner wrote:
Le Saturday 19 July 2008 21:52:09 A.M. Kuchling, vous avez écrit :
Excellent work!  Another fruitful area for fuzzing might be the
miniature virtual machine used by the re module.  It's possible to
import _sre and call the compile() function directly (see the end of
Lib/sre_compile.py for how it's invoked); I wonder how the regex VM
copes with random strings of bytecode.

Hum... how can I say it? It's trivial to crash _sre :-) So I blacklisted _sre.compile() in my fuzzer.

For information, it's also very easy to crash CPython with fuzzed .pyc file.

It's hard to check bytecode without execute it. It's maybe better to add checks directly in the VM.

I don't see that as a big problem: if you execute untrusted byte code,
you are on your own anyway... whether that's byte code for the re
engine or ceval.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jul 21 2008)