On 2008-08-14 08:43, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
For example, let's project dates for closing 2.6 and 3.0 now, and add
them to PEP 361.

My view is that they should be closed when 2.7 and 3.1 are released.

Since we don't have a fixed release cycle, making the 2.(n-1)
maintenance time frame depend on the 2.n release is not a reliable way
of defining the 2.(n-1) lifetime.

Instead, we should fix the dates based on the 2.(n-1) release date.

Following another informal policy, we were going for an 18 months
release cycle at some time (2.6 clearly took longer), which would
mean that those branches get closed on March 1, 2010. Security
releases will be available until October 1, 2013.

That would only allow 1.5 years for bug fixes - we were discussing
3 years for bug fixes and another 2 years for security fixes, ie.

2.6 bug fixes until      Oct 01 2011

2.6 security fixes until Oct 01 2013

Ditto for 3.0.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 14 2008)