Jeff Hall wrote:
I'm not sure about the first but as for the __reversed__ we had a discussion yesterday and it was indeed added in 2.4 (oddly, my 2.5 documentation has this correct... )

2.4 doc:
reversed( seq)

Return a reverse iterator. seq must be an object which supports the sequence protocol (the __len__() method and the __getitem__() method with integer arguments starting at 0). New in version 2.4.

[no mention of __reversed__]

3.3.6 Additional methods for emulation of sequence types

[ditto]

However, I confirmed that __reversed__ is used by reverse()

class C:
    def __reversed__(self): return 'abc'

c=C()
print(reversed(c))