On Sep 29, 2008, at 6:17 PM, Adam Olsen wrote:
I suspect linux will eventually take this route as well.  If ext3 had
an option for UTF-8 validation I know I'd want it on.  That'd move the
error to the program creating bogus file names, rather than those
trying to read, display, and manage them.

Of course, even on Mac OS X, or a theoretical UTF-8-enforcing ext3, random byte strings are still possible in your program's argv, in environment variables, and as arguments to subprocesses.

So python still needs to do something...

James