On Oct 16, 2008, at 5:11 PM, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

Raymond Hettinger wrote:
* It will assist pypy style projects and other python implementations
when they have to build equivalents to CPython.

* Will eliminate confusion about what functions were exactly intended to
do.

* Will confer benefits similar to test driven development where the
documentation and pure python version are developed first and doctests
gotten to pass, then the C version is created to match.

I haven't seen anyone comment about this assertion of "equivalence".
Doesn't it strike you as difficult to maintain *two* versions of every
function, and ensure they match *exactly*?

Glad you brought this up.  My idea is to present rough equivalence
in unoptimized python that is simple and clear. The goal is to provide
better documentation where code is more precise than English prose.
That being said, some subset of the existing tests should be runnable
against the rough equivalent and the python code should incorporate doctests. Running both sets of test should suffice to maintain the rough equivalence.

This seems like a large undertaking. I'm sure you're not underestimating the effort, but I have the sense that you may be overestimating the usefulness of the results (or maybe I'm underestimating them through some lack of understanding). Would it be more optimal (in terms of both effort and results) to extend the existing documentation and/or docstrings with examples that use all of the functions so developers can see how to call them and what results to expect?

Doug