Calvin> Has anyone made the argument for keeping the GIL to discourage
    Calvin> threading? I'm only throwing this out there and I'm sure we'd
    Calvin> want to improve things no matter what, but I would like to voice
    Calvin> the concern anyway. We all know there are people who think
    Calvin> threading is the answer to all things, and who don't understand
    Calvin> the difficulties and problems with threading. Often, when trying
    Calvin> to persuade them of alternative solutions, one selling point is
    Calvin> "your python threads can't take advantage of multiple cores,
    Calvin> anyway, because of the GIL."

I think the "we are all consenting adults here" rubric applies.  As Michael
Foord indicated there are tasks for which multithreading is appropriate.  If
people want to shoot themselves in the foot with threads that's their
prerogative.

Skip