Stefan Behnel wrote:
Michael Foord wrote:
Moving more C extensions to an implementation based on ctypes would be
enormously useful for PyPy, IronPython and Jython, but ctypes is not yet
as portable as Python itself which could be an issue (although one worth
resolving).

In the same line, moving more extensions to a high-level language like Cython,
instead of writing them in straight C, would make a later switch to a
different environment a lot easier, as the extensions could be regenerated
with a modified Cython compiler (obviously minus some fixing of premature
optimisations and the like).

Is using Cython for anything in Modules/ really an option? In my limited experiments with it, I did like it.

But using it for Python standard library stuff doesn't look quite right to me:

- Option 1: distribute Cython with Python and integrate into build process
-- Ouch!

- Option 2: only distribute generated source files
-- developers still need to have Cython installed
-- you have to trust Cython; who will really review the generated code?

-- Gerhard