I have done some testing and it seems, that it might not be Python
problem. Well, when I use only pure Python objects, I get really nice
description of the object (which means the type). But I am using PyQt
and it seems, that when an object is subclassing QObject (or possibly
some other class from qt, that can be not derived from QObject) it can
only display information about the name of the function. PyQt are
python bindings for C++ qt library. Can this be the reason for not
displaying type of the object?

2008/11/30 Nick Coghlan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Christian Heimes wrote:
>> Adam Olsen wrote:
>>> I'm sure you'll get support for this, unless it's a really
>>> inconvenient spot that requires a gross hack to print the type name.
>>> Post a patch on the bug tracker.
>>
>> So far I can see only one argument against the proposed idea: doc tests.
>>  The modified exception message would break existing doc tests.
>
> It wouldn't be the first time we've broken doc tests that way. Since the
> details of the error messages aren't guaranteed to remain the same
> across releases, doctests that aren't part of Python's own test suite
> really should be using IGNORE_EXCEPTION_DETAIL when checking for
> exceptions that are raised directly by the interpreter or standard library.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.
>
> --
> Nick Coghlan   |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   Brisbane, Australia

Filip Gruszczyński