On Dec 4, 2008, at 10:59 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
It occurs to me that this specific idea (the box with the list of supported applications / libraries) should be implementable as a simple query against PyPI. I don't know if it actually is :), but it should be. In general it would be nice to know whether one's favorite tools were available for *any* new Python version.

I agree, this would be ideal. I'm not sure the metadata is there to support it, though.

Each (version of each) package would need to register metadata recording which versions of Python it's known to be compatible with ("has been tested with"). I'd love for this to be available, and would be more proactive about testing software I've been involved in releasing against more Python versions.

  -Fred

--
Fred Drake   <fdrake at acm.org>