On Dec 9, 2008, at 6:04 AM, Anders J. Munch wrote:
The typical application will just obliviously use os.listdir(dir) and get the default elide-and-warn behaviour for un-decodable names. That rare special application

I guess this is a new definition of rare special application: "an application which deals with user-specified files".

This is the problem I see in having two parallel APIs: people keep saying "most applications can just go ahead and use the [broken] unicode string API". If there was a unicode API and a bytes API, but everyone was clear that "always use the bytes API" is the right thing to do, that'd be okay... But, since even python-dev members are saying that only a rare special app needs to care about working with users' existing files, I'm rather worried this API design will cause most programs written in python to be broken. Which seems a shame.

that needs more control can use os.listdirb and handle decoding itself.

James